Tuesday, July 17, 2012

False Information Numbero Due

UPDATE on the very last quote in this post:

I finally found a place where this quote cited as coming from a book Dworkin actually wrote. It is supposedly in the book called "Our Blood" which I am reading now. If I find this quote, I will let you all know.

If anti-feminist assholes would stop inundating the internet with bullshit & misattributed quotes, I wouldn't have this much trouble finding the truth. Even though these people claim that feminism is horrible, they still need lies to prove their point? If that were the case, they wouldn't have to make shit up - just saying! 


Alright, I would be able to take you anti feminist cock snots more seriously if you didn't insist on using fake quotes so often! Here are more of the all-too-ubiquitous bits of misinformation about feminism and the proof that they are just that:

"All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman." Catherine MacKinnon


As you can see here she never said that!
You can look it up very easily and discover that NOBODY fucking said it! Stop using it!

"All men are rapists and that's all they are" -- Marilyn French 

She actually did write this, but it was in a FICTIONAL novel! One of the characters said this after her daughter was raped. It was a story! When taken out of context, yeah it sounds pretty bad. 

 "Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice. Rape, originally defined as abduction, became marriage by capture. Marriage meant the taking was to extend in time, to be not only use of but possession of, or ownership." -- Andrea Dworkin.


So I see this one pop up quite a bit. What pisses me off the most about this is that the people using this quote seem to lack the reading comprehension skills to grasp the historical context of this statement. But hey, why would you actually want to try to understand something before you form an opinion on it?

 "Heterosexual intercourse is the pure, formalized expression of contempt for women's bodies." -- Andrea Dworkin 

Why is it that so much misinformation about Andrea abounds? There is plenty of ammunition to use against her - you really don't have to make shit up.
This quote came about in 2003 and it came out of the mouth of a fictional character in A Novel by Andrew Lewis Conn.

 "Romance is rape embellished with meaningful looks." Andrea Dworkin in the Philadelphia Inquirer, May 21, 1995..

I have tried my damnedest to find a credible source for this quote, but alas it does not seem to exist. And a search on The Philadelphia Inquirer's website turned up empty. I even went to far as to post this quote on Yahoo Answers to see if anyone else knew where I could find the source I desired, but to no avail. If you can find a good source for this quote, by all means let me. But I highly doubt you can...

"Under patriarchy, no woman is safe to live her life, or to love, or to mother children. Under patriarchy, every woman is a victim, past, present, and future. Under patriarchy, every woman's daughter is a victim, past, present, and future. Under patriarchy, every woman's son is her potential betrayer and also the inevitable rapist or exploiter of another woman," Andrea Dworkin, Liberty, p.58..

She NEVER wrote a book called "Liberty". Do I really have to say anything after that? No, because this quote is blatantly bullshit!


 I have plenty more where this came from, but for now I will leave it at this until I write again.

If you are going to dispute any of the writing above, be prepared to cite your sources or I will delete your comment.



The first false information can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment